Monday, November 5, 2012

Meatball Madness Part 2

As promised, I am sharing with you another meatball recipe, this time for lamb meatballs with pesto sauce. I am a little meatball obsessed at the moment, and I love that traditional, home-style cooking has come back in fashion! I was very fortunate to grow up in a household where my mum cooked for us almost every night of the week, and so as much as I love to go out and try new things, there are classics such as meatballs, lamb curry or spaghetti bolognese, that will always be my favourites.  Having said that though, this recipe is a different twist on an old favourite but equally as enjoyable in my opinion.

Lamb Meatballs with Pesto Sauce

Now, before you all go thinking that this is tasty but probably not very healthy, this pesto is a great way of getting some leafy green vegetables for the day and the spinach is a good source of iron, vitamins, and antioxidants. The pine nuts are a great way of getting some healthy fats in your diet, and they are rich in vitamin B, zinc and iron. Lamb? It's high in iron, protein and vitamin B. Not so bad after all!

The pesto sauce is so easy to make if you have a food processor, and can also be made to have on its own with pasta if you don't feel like meatballs. I have shown it here with crusty bread but I have also had it with zucchini spaghetti  which was very tasty (If you want to know how to make this there is a great recipe on The Healthy Chef here). Otherwise mashed potato, mashed sweet potato or pasta would all work well.  You could also give this a sprinkling of Parmesan to serve, but I decided to keep mine dairy-free.
 
What are your favourite home-cooked dishes?


Lamb meatballs with pesto sauce

Pesto sauce
3 cups tightly packed spinach
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Meatballs
500g lamb mince
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tbsp oil

1. Wash spinach and basil but do not dry completely. Add to food processor along with other pesto ingredients and process until smooth. Set aside.
2. Add mince, egg, parsley and onion to a bowl and mix until combined. Roll into 15 balls.
3. Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium temperature and add meatballs. Fry until browned.
4. Turn down the heat to low, add pesto sauce, and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
5. Serve with an accompaniment of your choice, and season with salt, pepper and Parmesan (optional).

Serves 4-5




Follow me on Twitter and Bloglovin
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy Claire! I think I might try it next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally. You could make the sauce in advance, the flavour is even better the next day!

      Delete

About Me

My name is Claire, I am a twenty-something year old girl living in Melbourne who loves anything to do with food, fashion, interiors and well being. I am constantly creating and trying new things in the pursuit of living a happy, healthy and stylish life!

Find Me On

 photo ci-2.png photo cf-2.png photo ce-1.png photo cb-1.png photo ct-1.png photo cr-1.png

Search This Blog

Loading...
Powered by Blogger.

Get Cinnamon & South via email

Archives

@cinnamonandsouth instagram